Curl up with a bowl of this robust, earthy soup full of colourful wild mushrooms. A spoonful of bubbly honey foam adds a perfect drop of sweetness.
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, brunoise
1 cup each of Loveday button, crimini and portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 cup Manitoba chanterelles (seasonal)
1 cup Manitoba morels (seasonal)
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups 35% cream
2 Tbsp brandy
1/4 cup white wine
Blonde Roux (1/3 cup butter, melted mixed with 1/3 cup flour)
salt and pepper
1/2 Tbsp rosemary, finely chopped 1/2 Tbsp thyme, finely chopped
6 Tbsp John Russell honey
- In a large saucepot on medium heat, sauté onions in 2 Tbsp of oil until translucent.
- Add half of garlic. Sauté until it begins to brown.
- Deglaze with half of white wine. Reduce slightly.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add blonde roux as needed. Using a hand immersion blender, combine for a smooth, lightly thickened veloute.
- Reduce heat to low. Let veloute cook for 45 mins.
- In a large pot, sweat shallots and Loveday mushrooms. Add pinch of salt. Cook for 7 mins until moisture is cooked out of mushrooms.
- Add garlic, morels and chanterelles and cook for a few more minutes.
- Deglaze with brandy. Add rosemary and thyme. Cook until nearly dry. a
- Add veloute and cream.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 mins.
- In a measuring cup, warm remaining white wine and honey in microwave until liquid.
- Using a hand immersion blender, pulse to produce foam.
- Garnish chowder with foam.
Yield 12 servings