Chef Rami Aboumrad,
Baraka Pita Bakery & Mediterranean Deli
Seven spice powder can be purchased at Halal Meat Centre (206 Maryland St, 774-8095) or Superstore. Set off the subtle spices with a squeeze of lemon or dab of hot sauce.
2 cups flour
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
5 medium-sized tomatoes
1 tsp seven spice
1 tsp oregano, fresh or dried
1 tsp parsley, fresh or dried
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp black pepper
1.1 lbs (500 grams) ground beef
canola oil for pan
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until well blended using a wooden spoon.
- Set aside to let dough rise, about 30 mins.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/8″ thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out circles of dough.
- Using a food processor, liquify tomatoes, herbs, onions and spices.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tomato purée and ground beef.
- Place a strainer in a bowl. Drain beef mixture in strainer, discard excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400°C.
- Drop 1 Tbsp of beef mixture on the centre of each dough circle.
- Use fingers to fold and pinch dough into six pointed stars.
- Place fatire on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Lightly brush oil on edges.
- Bake until bottom and edges of fatire are golden brown and meat is cooked through, about 12 mins.
Yields 3 dozen