Chef Beth McWilliam,
For a more robust taste, substitute ground beef patties with bison. Zingy horseradish aïoli made from scratch adds a nice bite.
1 free-run Vita Egg yolk
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp fresh or drained prepared horseradish
2 lbs ground bison meat
1/4 cup diced white onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 free-run Vita Egg
2 Tbsp organic ketchup
1 Tbsp Frank’s hot sauce
dash hot paprika
pinch chili flakes
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
2 tsp raw organic sugar
1/2 cup bread crumbs
12 Tall Grass Prairie whole wheat hamburger buns
1 head lettuce, washed and shredded
1 red onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
15 slices Bothwell smoked gouda cheese
- In a small bowl using a stand mixer on medium speed, combine egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and rice vinegar.
- While mixer is running, drizzle in canola oil to emulsify.
- Fold in horseradish.
- In a large bowl, use a spoon to combine onion, garlic, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire, hot sauce, cayenne, paprika, chili flakes, pepper, salt and sugar into bison meat.
- Knead in bread crumbs.
- Divide and form into 1 1/2″-thick patties.
- Grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, around 10-12 mins.
- Spoon on desired amount of aïoli on top bun.
- Place meat on bottom bun and garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions and gouda. Close burger with top bun.
Yields 12-15 burgers