Diversity Food Services at the University of Winnipeg
Chickpea flour forms the crunchy batter of this savoury, cilantro- stuffed patty. Serve with tomato-ginger chutney and cucumber raita.
1 cup dried chickpeas
1 russet potato, cooked and peeled
1 cup chickpea flour
1 onion, minced
3 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp cayenne
2 Tbsp cumin, ground
2 Tbsp coriander, ground
2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
canola oil for deep frying
- Soak chickpeas in at least 3 cups of water for 10 hrs or overnight.
- Drain, rinse and cook in boiling water until tender (about 1 hr).
- Purée chickpeas in food processor. Add a bit of water if the mixture seems to dry to form a grainy paste.
- In a separate medium bowl, mash the potato.
- Add ground chickpeas, flour, onion, ginger, salt, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and cilantro to potato and mix well.
- Using a Tbsp, make small patties about 2 1/2″ wide and 1/2″ thick.
- Deep fry 1-2 mins until crisp, or pan fry. To pan fry, heat 6 Tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan over high heat for 1 min.
- Add fritters and cook on each side for 2 mins.
Yields 50 small parkoras