Chef Cameron Huley,
Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South
A fine balance of savoury and tangy tastes complement tender duck meat.
Corned Duck and Brine
4 cups water
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp sea salt
2 Tbsp pink salt (available at Piazza Di Nardi)
10 juniper berries
3 pieces of star anise
1 bay leaf
1 5-6 oz duck breast
Corn and Citrus Relish
1 cup vinegar
2 cups corn kernels
1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
3 Tbsp cornstarch
4 Tbsp water
1/2 cup orange sections, cut in half
1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
- In a medium-sized pot, add all ingredients except for duck.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat immediately and cool.
- Marinate duck in refrigerated brine for 24 hrs.
- Wrap duck tightly in plastic wrap.
- In a pot of water, warm duck on stove top at 120˚F (monitoring with a thermometer) for 2 hrs. Refrigerate.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss cooled brussel sprouts, lardons, apples and dressing with canola oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with pecan pieces.
- In a blender or food processor, purée vinegar and 1/2 cup corn.
- In a medium pot, add corn purée, remaining corn, red pepper, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer on medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water. Add to relish.
- Continue to cook until slightly thickened. Refrigerate until cool. Add orange sections and mint.
- Thinly slice duck and serve with relish.
Yields 10 servings