Chef Bindy Tiwari,
Bindy’s Caribbean Delights
1 Tbsp amchur masala
2 1/2 cups water, divided
3 Tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16 oz) can chickpeas, drained
1 Scotch bonnet chile, seeds and stem removed, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt & pepper, to taste
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 cup lukewarm water
Oil, to fry bara
1. Mix amchur masala in 1/2 cup water. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, add oil and fry onion and garlic for two minutes. Add amchur masala mix, chickpeas and 1/2 cup of water. Add Scotch bonnet chile and cumin.
4. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, add remaining water and cover. Let simmer one hour. Add salt & pepper.
1. In a large bowl, slowly mix flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, turmeric and garlic.
2. Slowly add water, mixing until a soft dough is formed.
3. Cover dough and let rise 45 minutes in a warm area.
4. Scoop dough by the tablespoon and roll into flat circles.
5. In a saucepan, heat oil and fry bara for 30 seconds each.
Sandwich chickpeas between two bara. Add hot sauce.
Yield 4-6 servings (8-12 bara)