Chef Alexander Svenne
Bistro 7 1/4
Earthy and rich, this local duck dish evokes our province on a plate.
4 large duck breasts, score the skin
salt and pepper
1 lb baby potatoes, boiled and sliced
1 lb assorted wild and button mushrooms
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup port
2 cups chicken or duck stock
pinch dried chiles
salt and pepper to taste
- Season duck with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over med heat, sear the duck skin side down. Cook the duck on the skin side to render off fat.
- Once the skin is brown and crispy flip over and sear opposite side. Remove duck from pan and hold in a warm place -it will continue to cook slowly.
- Add potatoes, mushrooms and sprig of thyme to the duck fat laden pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until potatoes are golden, sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
- Place on plates. Thinly slice duck on the bias, arrange on top of potatoes.
- Bring port to a boil. Reduce until almost gone.
- Add stock, bring to boil. Reduce by half. Season.
- our sauce in a pool around potatoes.
Yield 4 servings