Pastry chef/ owner Nina Notaro,
Ginger and five-spice powder add gentle heat to this out-of-the-ordinary caramel corn. Dashes of gold powder and glitter glam it up.
12 cups air-popped popcorn
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1/8 tsp salt
pinch of ground red pepper
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
edible metallic gold powder, to garnish
edible gold glitter, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 250˚F.
- Place popcorn in large, greased disposable aluminum roasting pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter, corn syrup and brown sugar.
- Increase heat, bring to a boil and cook for 5 mins.
- Add vinegar, five spice powder, salt and ground red pepper and remove from heat.
- Stir in baking soda and ginger.
- Immediately pour over popcorn and gently mix with spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and lightly dust with gold powder and glitter.
Yield 3 quarts