Pastry Chef Peyman Esfehani,
The Cottage Bakery
Chef/owner Peyman is the third owner of this Fort Garry bakery established in 1932. While bread still draws loyal and new customers, Peyman’s wide variety of pies, pastries and cookies make this a sought-after bakeshop today. Java cookies delight with their unique pecan flavour.
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp ground espresso
1 1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup ground pecans
1 1/2 cup chocolate wafers, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 340°F.
- In a mixing bowl, blend butter and icing sugar.
- Mix flour, espresso powder and ground pecans together and add to butter mixture.
- Mix until a firm cookie dough forms.
- Roll the dough into a log and put in freezer (approx. 2 hours) for easier cutting.
- Remove from freezer and cut into 1/8” thick slices.
- Place on baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes.
- Cool, then dip in melted chocolate.
Yield 3 dozen cookies