Pastry Chef Shen Wu,
For Us Bakery
Chef Shen Wu credits her globally inspired cookie flavours to a year spent in Japan trying new foods. Eating exciting flavour combinations made such an impact it set her on a path of experimentation when she returned to Winnipeg to launch a bakery. Shen loves how spices and unexpected ingredients commonly used for savoury dishes can be applied to sweets for something new and delightful.
2 cups butter
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup rice flour
1 Tbsp matcha powder (for matcha cookies)
Zest of 1 regular sized orange (for orange cranberry cookies)
1/3 cup chopped sweetened dried cranberries (for orange cranberry cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Whip the butter and icing sugar in a mixer on high speed using the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape the side of the bowl, whip for another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk
remaining dry ingredients together, then slowly add dry ingredients to mixer, mixing until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for about 2 hours.
- Take out the dough half an hour before rolling.
- Roll dough to about 1/4” thickness and cut into shapes using your favourite cookie cutter.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then rotate cookie sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes until cookies can easily be moved on the tray.
- Take out and rest on the cooling rack.
Yield 2 1/2 dozen cookies