Warm, spicy bites of syrupy pineapple are complemented by silky white chocolate mousse sporting enchanting and edible pineapple flower garnishes.
1 pineapple, peeled and sliced horizontally into thin discs
1 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp ginger root, sliced thick
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup dark rum
8 oz white chocolate, diced
1/3 cup milk
2 egg whites
1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Spread out pineapple slices.
- Bake for 3 hours. Remove from oven, gently turn “flowers” over. Continue baking for 20 mins.
- Remove from oven. Mould to desired shape with fingers. Will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water, brown sugar and ginger to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in pineapple. Cook until fruit is tender, about 8 mins. Add rum and simmer for 2 min.
- Over a medium bowl, strain pineapple. Set aside fruit and syrup.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate over medium heat. Transfer chocolate to medium bowl and whisk in milk. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold 1/3 of egg whites into tepid chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- In a separate bowl, use electric mixer to whip cream. In two stages, fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon pineapple into parfait vessels. Add syrup until fruit is just submerged.
- Add mousse layer and garnish with a pineapple
Yield 8-10 servings