Chef Todd Bjornson,
Rich ricotta marries well with tart and tangy lime curd.
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted pistachios, finely ground
475 grams ricotta
1/2 cup icing sugar
juice and zest of 1 lime
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp lime zest
berries to garnish
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat butter, sugar and salt at medium speed until creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg yolk. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in flour and pistachios until just incorporated. Divide pastry into four equal portions.
- Flatten pastry into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten pastry between two sheets of plastic wrap into 5″ rounds.
- Remove plastic. Ease pastry into 4″ fluted tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim overhang and patch any tears. Refrigerate until firm.
- Line tarts with parchment and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in centre of oven for 30 mins.
- Remove weights and parchment, bake for additional 15 mins.
- Remove and cool completely.
1. In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to combine ingredients.
- In a heat-proof, medium-sized bowl, combine eggs, sugar and lime juice.
- Add 2 inches of water to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to boil.
- Place bowl over saucepan and whisk until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, whisk in butter and lime zest.
- Spoon ricotta filling into tarts to cover bottom of pastry.
- Generously cover ricotta with layer of lime curd.
- Garnish with fresh berries.
Yield 4 tarts