Chef Ray Miller,
York The Hotel
The first note is rich and creamy, followed by a fresh berry burst.
Delicate wisps of vanilla rise for an elegant finish.
1 ½ cups 35% whipping cream
¼ cup 2% milk
10 egg yolks
2 Tbsp + 1 ½ tsp berry sugar
scrapings from 1 whole vanilla bean
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
½ cup strawberries, diced
½ cup blueberries
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix berries, sugar and Grand Marnier together and let sit in the refrigerator for 20 min.
3. Divide half the berries equally among four small creamer pots or ramekins. Refrigerate remaining berries.
4. In a large saucepan over high heat, bring milk, berry sugar, cream and vanilla to a boil. Immediately remove from heat. Be careful not to scald the milk.
5. In a small steel bowl, whip egg yolks while slowly adding cream mixture just until it is all incorporated.
6. Pour equal amounts of custard into the four pots.
7. Place pots in a deep baking dish. Create a bain-marie by filling dish with water until it reaches half way up the pots.
8. Bake for 25–35 min until just set.
9. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
10. Top each portion with reserved berries.
Yield 4 servings