Owner Dave Schultz,
Meat and potatoes are sweetened with a dash of pomegranate syrup. Crunchy pumpkin seeds, and colourful root vegetable and sweet potato hash dress up the plate.
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups pomegranate juice
Root Vegetable and Potato Hash
6 slices thick-cut bacon
1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
4 parsnips, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
fresh cracked black pepper
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, dissolve sugar in pomegranate juice.
- Simmer mixture until reduced by half, around 45 mins.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a baking sheet, roast seeds in oven for 3-4 mins. Watch carefully as they can burn quickly.
- Cool seeds for 30 mins.
- Place seeds in a resealable plastic bag. Using a rolling pin, crush seeds in bag. Keep some whole.
- In a sauté pan over high heat, sear all sides of pork until browned.
- Remove pork from heat and transfer to a plate to cool for a few mins.
- Brush pork with Dijon mustard. Coat in crushed seeds.
- Finish roasting in oven until internal temperature reads 160°F, around 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 mins. Slice and serve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut bacon into 1/4″ pieces.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, sauté bacon for 2 mins.
- Add red onion and sauté for 2 mins. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss remaining vegetables with olive oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables in roasting pan. Add bacon, onions and rosemary.
- Roast for 20-30 mins until vegetables are tender.
- Remove rosemary and serve.
Yield 2 servings