Cookie Decorator Alyssa Pratt,
While Alyssa brings artistic flair to decorating all year long, Sweet Impressions’ signature sugar cookies are particularly popular at Christmas time. The process begins with a cookie plan establishing shapes and colour palette for the holidays. Details like sugar dipping and paint make them an extra special sweet treat. Her tip for creatives: lightening the icing with white dye before adding tints makes the colours brighter.
3 cups butter, softened
3 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
8 cups flour
1 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp white corn syrup
2 Tbsp rice milk or water
Food colouring, as desired
- In a large bowl using a hand
mixer on high, beat butter and
- Add eggs and vanilla
and continue mixing until combined.
- Add flour and beat
until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Flour the counter and roll the dough to 1 cm thickness.
- Cut holiday shapes using cookie cutters and place on a non-stick baking sheet or parchment paper
- Bake approximately 10-12 mins.
- Cool 1 – 2 hrs before decorating.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine icing sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Add drops of food colouring to create desired shade.
- Using a paint brush, apply a layer of icing to cookies and allow to dry 1 hr before additional decorating. Thicken with additional icing sugar and put into a piping bag for detailed decorating.
- Let stand 24 hrs to set icing if packaging.
Yield 3 dozen medium shaped cookies