Creamy, confectionery dulce de leche is sandwiched between buttery cake-like cookies in this sweet traditional South American treat.
2/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup flour, plus more
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 Tbsp Pisco
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dulce de leche
- Combine cornstarch, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, Pisco and vanilla, mix.
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture until incorporated with no visible white pockets.
- Shape dough into a smooth disk, wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hr.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, position rack in middle. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/4″ thickness. Stamp out 24 rounds.
- Place cookies on prepared sheets spaced 1/2″ apart. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 12-14 mins. Cool on wire rack.
- Flip half of the cookies upside down, gently spread each with 2 tsps of dulce de leche. Place a second cookie on top, press to create a sandwich.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar, roll in garnish.
Yields a dozen alfajores.