Pastry Chef Peyman Esfehani,
The Cottage Bakery
Chef/owner Peyman is the third owner of this Fort Garry bakery established in 1932. While bread still draws loyal and new customers, Peyman’s wide variety of pies, pastries and cookies make this a sought-after bakeshop today. Honey laced almond crescents strike a crisp chewy balance.
3/4 cup almond paste
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup almond flour
1 1/4 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup egg whites (1 1/2 -2 eggs)
2 cups sliced almonds
1/4 cup apricot glaze
1 cup chocolate wafers for dipping
- Mix almond paste, sugar, almond flour, honey and egg whites together until a wet dough forms.
- Place almonds in a flat dish for rolling.
- Scoop some cookie dough (approx. 2 Tbsp) and roll in the almonds.
- Place on baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 340°F for 9 – 11 minutes. Let cool.
- In a microwave, heat chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted.
- Brush ends of cookies with apricot glaze
- Dip ends in chocolate.
Yield 2 dozen cookies