Manitoba sun-sweetened blueberries and tangy goat cheese come together in this simply cool treat. Pick up a pack of pretty vanilla cookies at De Luca’s Specialty Foods to complete this handheld backyard dessert.
4 cups fresh Manitoba blueberries
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lime zest
8 egg yolks at room temp
3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 cup chèvre (soft goat cheese) at room temp
1 pkg Italian vanilla wafer cookies
- Line two metal loaf pans (9x5x3″) with 2 layers of plastic wrap, leaving generous overhang on all sides.
- In a medium saucepan on low heat, combine 3 cups blueberries, lime juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Cook gently while stirring for 10 mins, remove and stir in lime zest. Transfer cooked berry mixture to cool bowl, set aside.
- In large bowl, use electric mixer on medium speed to whisk yolks and 1/4 cup sugar for 2 mins. Turn to high for 5 mins more. Transfer to clean bowl and set aside.
- In a clean large bowl use electric mixer on med-low to whisk heavy cream, vanilla and icing sugar for 2 mins. Increase speed to medium until soft peaks form. Crumble in chèvre and whisk slowly to blend.
- Gently fold together egg yolk and cream mixtures. Stir in cooked berries and 1 cup of fresh berries.
- Pour into lined loaf pans. Freeze for minimum 6 hrs before serving.
- Remove from freezer 3 mins before serving. Cut into 1″ slices and place between two wafers.
Yields 20 servings