Chef/owner Arnaldo Carreira,
Orlando’s Seafood Grill
This traditional Portuguese fish stew celebrates the flavours of the sea with a bounty of fish and shellfish enhanced with a simple tomato broth.
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, julienne
1 white onion, sliced
1 sprig cilantro
1 handful fresh mint, chopped
4 red potatoes, sliced 1/2 cm thick
2 hot house tomatoes, chopped
4, 4 oz salmon fillets
4, 4 oz red snapper fillets
4, 4 oz halibut steaks
4 cups chicken broth, preheated
2 oz white wine
20 fresh mussels
ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add olive oil, bay leaves, garlic, red pepper, onion, cilantro and mint. Sauté for 5 mins over medium heat.
- Cover the herb and vegetable mixture with sliced potatoes. Add tomatoes and fish.
- Add preheated chicken broth and white wine to pot and cover with lid. Do not stir.
- Allow to cook for 15 mins over medium-high heat.
- Add mussels. Cover again for 4–5 mins until shells have opened up.
- Divide into 4 large pie plate-style bowls. Season with fresh ground pepper and serve.
Yields 4 servings