Chef/owner Roy Huntrods,
Caramelizing fennel with maple syrup adds a sweet and nutty dimension to the licorice-flavoured bulb.
2 medium-sized rounds of bocconcini cheese
2 Roma tomatoes
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
sea salt to taste
1/8 cup butter
1/2 fennel bulb, quartered
1 oz white wine
3 oz maple syrup
1 cup spring mix
fresh ground pepper to taste
- Slice bocconcini and tomato into 1/4 inch rounds. Place alternating slices of cheese and tomato on 2 plates making sure to overlap.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice. Season with sea salt.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add fennel and cook until both sides are slightly browned.
- Add wine and maple syrup. Reduce until fennel is caramelized.
- Plate spring mix beside tomato and bocconcini. Drizzle with olive oil mixture.
- Place caramelized fennel sections on top of greens. Season to taste with pepper.
Yields 2 servings