Chef Rowell Clarina,
The stacked design of this rich, creamy take on lobster tartare highlights each ingredient. Sweet lobster meat is even more luxurious mixed with buttery avocado and pops of salty caviar. Fresh wasabi relish enlivens with tangy heat. To maintain the soft salad’s structure, Chef Rowell recommends slowly and gently lifting the steel mold.
1 Doll spring roll pastry
1 cup canola oil
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup cooked lobster meat
2 tsp kewpie mayonnaise
1 tsp wasabi relish, or to taste
2” steel mold ring
1/2 tsp yuzo-infused tobiko caviar
Pinch of black and white roasted sesame seeds
Pinch of micro-arugula
1/2 red radish, sliced
- Cut spring roll dough into 1” squares. Fry in canola oil for a
few seconds until crispy. Set on paper towel.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape away seeds with a spoon. Finely chop horizontally into thin slices.
- Generously salt cucumber pieces to draw out moisture.
- Rinse in a strainer to wash away salt and squeeze out water.
- Chop lobster meat and avocado into 1/4-inch squares. Place in
- Add kewpie mayonnaise and wasabi relish.
- Gently mix the ingredients.
- Place the steel mold ring in the centre of a plate.
- Place cucumber pieces inside the ring. Press the cucumber strips into the mold with a spoon.
- Add the lobster-avocado mixture to the mold, filling it up.
- Shape with a spoon.
- Press down on the salad with
a spoon and slide the mold up
- Top with caviar and sesame seeds.
- Place prepared spring roll chips, micro-arugula and radish on the side of the plate.
Yield 1 salad