Chef/owner Wei Quan Zhu,
These crispy, golden packages represent good fortune and prosperity because of their resemblance to Chinese gold bars. Hint: to steam separate dishes in unison, stack bamboo steamer baskets, with the longest cook time at the bottom.
8 oz bok choy, diced
1 Tbsp minced ginger
3 green onions, minced
pinch of salt
8 oz pork, minced
24 round dumpling wrappers
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
lotus leaves, to line steamer
thick chile dipping sauce
red vinegar, for dipping
- In a mixing bowl, combine bok choy, ginger, green onion, salt, and pork.
- Place 1 tsp of pork filling on the centre of each dumpling wrapper.
- Use fingers to fold wrapper sides together to form a half moon, then pinch the edges closed securely.
- Place steamer basket in a large pot and add enough water to touch steamer bottom. Remove steamer and bring water to boil.
- Line steamer with lotus leaves. Arrange dumplings in steamer.
- Cover and place in boiling water for 10 mins.
- In a wok, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Pan-fry dumplings on each side for 10-12 secs. Turn continuously until they are cooked evenly and golden brown.
- Serve with chile sauce and red vinegar for dipping.
Yield 2 servings