Pastry Chef/Owner Nina Notaro
For a different spin, substitute orange, coffee, raspberry or Irish cream liquer for rum in these traditional rum balls. Adorn with silver to add an elegant flair.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup pure chocolate chips
4 Tbsp dark rum
1 3/4 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
1 cup white candy sprinkles
edible silver glitter, to garnish
- In a double boiler on medium heat, melt butter, icing sugar and chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl using a whisk, beat eggs and add salt.
- Add 2 Tbsps of chocolate mixture to eggs and stir vigorously.
- Add tempered egg mixture to chocolate mixture and stir over heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 mins.
- Spoon mixture into large bowl. Add rum and wafers and stir until combined.
- Cool in fridge for 1 hr.
- Remove and form 1″ balls with hands. Roll in sprinkles and dust with edible silver.
- Store in a tightly covered container in fridge until serving
Yield 3 dozen