Chef Todd Bjornson,
Low and slow simmering is key to unleashing layers of spice in this classic and hearty meat sauce.
28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 stalk celery, minced
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1/2 carrot, minced
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 3/4 lb ground beef
1/2 cup dry red wine or beef stock
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
1 bay leaf
- In a blender, purée the tomatoes and juice. Set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stirring frequently, cook until soft and lightly browned, about 15 mins. Reduce heat to low, cook until soft and caramelized, about 15 mins.
- Add beef. Break up meat with wooden spoon and brown for about 15 mins.
- Increase heat to medium. Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly until evaporated, about 10 mins.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently for 2 mins. Add reserved tomato purée, oregano, basil and bay leaf, reduce to low heat and simmer while stirring occasionally until sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hrs.
Yield 4 servings