Chef Rami Aboumrad
Baraka Pita Bakery & Mediterranean Deli
At markets year-round in pickled form, these grape leaves flourish on Winnipeg vines during summer months. The unique texture and briny flavour of these sleek packages give way to refreshing, citrus-noted stuffing.
1 1/2 cups white rice
1/2 tsp salt
3 ripe tomatoes, minced
1 bunch green onions, minced
1 bunch fresh parsely, minced
1 tsp dried mint
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup canola oil
1 litre jar of grape leaves, rinsed
- In a medium-sized bowl, soak rice in warm water for 5 mins. Strain.
- Add tomatoes, green onions, parsley, mint, pepper, salt, lemon juice and oil to rice. Mix together.
- Spread grape leaves out on a flat surface.
- Place 1 Tbsp of fillling in the centre of each leaf and wrap burrito-style.
- Place in large saucepan, add water to cover. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, simmer for 30-45 mins until rice is cooked.
- Serve hot or cold with tzatziki.
Yield 8-10 servings