Chefs Doug Krahn and Betty Lai
The classic Christmas cookie looks as good as it tastes thanks to crushed candy cane and cranberry-hued royal icing.
3 Tbsp meringue powder
4 cups sifted icing sugar
6 Tbsp warm water
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
crushed candy cane for garnish
- Using a stand mixer, beat meringue, icing sugar and water at low speed for a few mins.
- Then turn speed to medium/high until icing forms peaks.
Yield 3 cups
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar using a stand mixer at medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time into the butter mixture. Add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and blend until dough forms.
- Roll out the dough.
- Using a mitten cookie cutter, cut shapes and place on baking sheet.
- Cook for 8-10 mins until golden brown on bottom.
- Cool for 30 mins before icing.
- Place 1/2 cup white royal icing in a plastic sandwich bag.
- Angle bag so icing is in one corner. Cut the corner tip as a piping bag. Pipe the outline of mitten.
- In a small bowl, add desired amount of food colouring paste to 2 cups royal icing. Mix until colour is completely blended in.
- Thin out coloured icing with water, adding a few drops at a time until you reach desired honey-like consistency.
- Fill a new sandwich bag with coloured icing, cut tip and fill in the mitten.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy cane if desired. Let dry overnight.
Yield 48 cookies