Diversity Food Services at the University of Winnipeg
Cooked beans and lentils pack this hearty cassoulet with protein power.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 sweet potato, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 dried bay leaf
2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
2 Tbsp tomato purée
1-2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups small white beans, cooked
1 cup brown or green lentils, cooked
1/4 cup mixed fresh herbs like Italian parsley, chives, and thyme
- In a large soup pot heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until soft.
- Add carrot, sweet potato, and red pepper. Cook for 2-5 mins.
- Add zucchini and garlic and cook another 2 mins.
- Add bay leaf, tomatoes, tomato purée, and stock. Simmer 15-20 mins, until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans and lentils, simmer 5 mins.
- Stir in fresh herbs and serve.
Yield 6-8 servings