Chocolate cake truffles made with cake mix are both simple to make and deliciously rich. For an even fudgier flavour, add 1/3 cup sifted cocoa powder to the vanilla frosting.
Betsy Hiebert & Dee Burdeny
3-4 cups icing sugar
1 cup coconut oil, softened
1 cup butter, softened
pinch of salt
3-4 cups chocolate melting wafers
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Follow instructions on chocolate cake mix.
- Once cooled completely, crumble your cake so that it resembles small pebbles.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix coconut oil and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar to desired sweetness and continue mixing until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to tame sweetness.
- Mix about 1/2 – 3/4 cup of frosting with cake pebbles, adding more if it’s not soft enough. Your cake and frosting mix should look similar to play-dough.
- Shape into balls, then flatten out and use cookie cutters to create desired shapes.
- Place on a baking tray and put in the fridge for 1/2 a day to firm up or pop in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Melt chocolate wafers. It needs to be a runny consistency so it will coat your cake truffles seamlessly.
- Dip cooled cake mixture into the melted chocolate and place on cookie racks to cool.
- Allow to firm up and serve. May be kept in the freezer in a sealed container for a month or more.
Yield 24-36 chocolate cake truffles