Chef Andrew Koropatnick,
The Oxbow Natural Wine Bar
Kohlrabi is a versatile vegetable from the cabbage family that pairs well with earthy goat cheese, yogurt poppyseed dressing and tart green apple. Chef Andrew credits his sous chef Jesse Hardie for this creative interpretation of dumplings. Pile on fresh herbs and microgreens for extra vibrancy.
1 tsp kosher salt
4 oz goat cheese
1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, divided for chèvre and garnish
1 Tbsp fresh dill, divided for chèvre and garnish
1/4 Tbsp lemon juice
12 dried cranberries
3/4 cup and 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
3 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp poppyseeds
1 green apple, diced
a few sprigs of mint
1 Tbsp toasted pistachios
poppyseeds to taste
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Peel kohlrabi, trimming ends.
- Slice 12 thin discs with a mandoline slicer. Lay discs on a plate and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt. Let stand at room temperature for 9 minutes.
- Rinse discs in ice water to remove excess salt. Arrange on a paper towel-lined plate and wrap tightly.
- Reserve in fridge until assembly.
- Finely chop parsley and dill.
- Mix with lemon juice and goat cheese until fully incorporated.
- Reserve covered in fridge.
Yogurt Poppyseed Dressing
- Mix yogurt, milk, vinegar, honey, olive oil and poppyseeds in a bowl until well-incorporated.
- Reserve in fridge.
- Lay out kohlrabi discs on a tray and spoon a pea-sized amount of herbed chèvre into the centre of each piece.
- Place a single cranberry on top of the chèvre then fold each disc over itself making a semi-circle.
- Starting from one end, crimp the edges pushing out any air pockets until you reach the other end, forming a dumpling. Previously salting the kohlrabi makes it pliable, allowing it to stick to itself.
- Spoon 4 Tbsp poppyseed dressing onto the bottom of a chilled, shallow bowl. Arrange kohlrabi dumplings in the bowl.
- Garnish with poppyseed dressing, green apple, mint, dill, parsley, pistachios and poppyseeds. Finish with a drizzle of good olive oil and lemon juice when serving.
Yield 12 dumplings