Owner Sunny Chen,
Crowd favourite rainbow roll showcases its best assets by flipping inside out and presenting four colourful varieties of seafood on a blanket of rice. Mild flavours make this a perfect roll for sushi fans transitioning to sashimi. Beauty tips for assembly: keeping the plastic wrap on the roll until after it is cut holds the ingredients together.
1 1/3 cups uncooked sushi rice
2 sheet of nori cut in half into 7 1/2 by 4” sheets
1 cucumber, sliced into four strips measuring 7 1/2” long and 1/2” wide
1 avocado, cut into 12 strips
1 fillet of hokkigai
1 fillet of salmon
1 fillet of tuna
4 pieces cooked shrimp, tail off
1/2 cup crab meat
1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Cook sushi rice according to directions on package.
- While rice is cooking, cut hokkigai, salmon and tuna into four uniform pieces, approximately 2 1/2” long and 1/2” wide.
- When cool, divide rice into
- Evenly spread a large handful of rice on a sheet of nori then flip over, with the rice side facing down on a sushi rolling mat covered with a layer of plastic wrap.
- Place cucumber strip in the centre. Place 1/4 of the mayonnaise and two pieces of avocado alongside the cucumber. Sprinkle 1/4 of the crab meat on top.
- Using the sushi rolling mat, tightly roll up all ingredients.
- Top roll with one piece each
of salmon, tuna, shrimp, avocado and hokkigai.
- Place plastic wrap over the roll and press with sushi mat to curve
fish around roll.
- Cut into 6 pieces and remove plastic wrap.
- Repeat for remaining 3 rolls.
Yield 4 rolls