Chef John Garcia
1 large whole chicken, 5-6 lbs
water – enough to fully submerge whole chicken
1 large carrot, cut into 3
2 large yellow onions, cut into 4
1/2 lb ginger
2 3/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp vegetarian protein powder or egg powder
1 Tbsp gluten flour
1 cup water
3/4 cup of chicken breast
1 large marinated boiled egg
1/4 cup bamboo shoots
1 cup blanched spinach
1 clove garlic, finely cut
2 Tbsp green onions, finely cut
1/4 sheet nori
1 tsp roasted garlic
6 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp mirin
2 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp sesame oil
- Place whole chicken in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove chicken scum to avoid bitter taste in chicken stock.
- Simmer on medium heat for 5 hours (topping up hot water).
- Add vegetables while simmering. Soup base should look golden yellow.
Yield 4-5 bowls
- Mix flour, gluten flour and desired powder for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 water and mix for 4 minutes. Add the rest of the water then mix for 11 minutes. End result should be slightly damp, oval clumps of dough.
- Process through pasta maker and portion noodles to approximately 3/4 cup/bowl.
Yield 4 servings
- Coat chicken with salt and pepper. Bring frying pan to high heat and cook both sides of chicken breasts on medium heat.
- In a medium bowl mix soy sauce, water and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Place boiled, peeled egg into the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
- Place canned bamboo shoots in a medium pot. Add soy sauce and sugar. Stir well and bring to boil. Once boiling, turn off heat.
- Fully submerge spinach in boiling water for 30 seconds. Strain and cool in cold running water. Strain excess water and place spinach in a bowl with lid.
- Fry garlic on a medium-low heat, constantly stirring.
- Mix all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Yield 4-7 servings
- Place approximately 1 cup cooked noodles in boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Strain cooked noodles through room-temperature running water.
- Place 3 Tbsp shoyu flavouring in a soup bowl.
- Boil chicken soup stock. Pour approximately 2 cups in soup bowl and mix.
- Add noodles, which will form a base for toppings.
- Add spinach, bamboo, chicken, egg and nori.
- Sprinkle green onions and roasted garlic on top.