Chef/co-owner Ami Hassan,
Versions of this eastern European delicacy exist in many cultures. In Canada, Jewish immigrants have popularized the blintz. Serve sour cream and strawberries with this rich treat.
4 medium eggs
1 cup homogenized milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp butter
1 lb dry cottage cheese
6 Tbsp sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
8 oz full fat cream cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs and milk using a wooden spoon. Slowly add salt and flour. Mix until a smooth, buttermilk-like consistency is achieved.
- In a small non-stick pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add 2 Tbsp of batter, swirl the pan in a circular motion. Fry until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Flip out on to parchment paper, browned side up. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Using a food processor, pulse all ingredients until smooth.
- Place a heaping Tbsp of filling in centre of each shell. Fold three sides over filling envelope-style and roll up.
- In a buttered frying pan over high heat, fry blintzes until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream and fresh strawberries or preserves.
Yields 15 blintzes