Chef Quentin Harty
RBC Convention Centre
Using shrimp stock puts a flavourful twist on this fall classic.
1/2 cup salted butter, clarified
1 medium sized onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, ground
1 cup cubed butternut squash
1 cup flour
3 1/4 cups shrimp stock
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, ground
zest from 1/4 orange
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (35%)
2 small bay leaves
6 cheese crostini
1 Tbsp chives, chopped
2 Tbsp crispy onions (optional)
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, add butter, onions, garlic and butternut squash. Sauté until tender.
- Reduce the temperature to low and add flour, mixing thoroughly to blend.
- Increase the temperature to medium high and slowly add the cold shrimp stock while continuously whisking, until smooth. Bring soup to a rolling boil and cook for 3-5 minutes while constantly whisking.
- Reduce the temperature to medium and add the ginger, orange zest, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Reduce the temperature to low and slowly add the cream while whisking constantly to prevent curdling. Increase the temperature to medium high and return to boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce the temperature to low, add the bay leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Remove soup from the burner and carefully purée with an immersion blender.
- Adjust seasoning and serve immediately. Garnish with chives, a crostini and crispy onions.
Yields 6 servings