The healing power of sesame seeds in tahini boost immunity and heart health.
1 head of garlic
3/4 cups lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups tahini
1 Tbsp cumin
1 cup chickpeas, dried
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cups tahini
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cumin
- Combine garlic cloves, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp salt in a blender. Blend to coarse purée and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Strain mixture to remove the garlic, pressing out juice from the garlic.
- Pour mixture into a food processor. Add tahini, cumin, and 1 tsp salt. Purée the mixture together until smooth. Add hot water a little at a time to thin. Add salt and cumin to taste.
- Place chickpeas and 1 tsp of baking soda in large bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight, drain and rinse.
- Place chickpeas in a large pot with 1 tsp baking soda and add cold water to cover by at least 4″. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium, cover pot, and simmer for 1 hour or until chickpeas are tender.
- Simmer for another 20-30 minutes. Skim off any floating chickpea skins and discard. Drain.
- Combine chickpeas, tahini, salt, and cumin in a food processor. Purée for several minutes until smooth and creamy. Add hot water a little at a time if it’s too thick. Add salt and cumin to taste.
Yield 4 servings