Hummus is reimagined with a few unexpected ingredients in this recipe from chef Karli Smith. Cranberries and Grand Marnier imbue a festive touch.
Chef Karli Smith
Cordova Tapas & Wine
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Grand Marnier
1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
3/4 tsp five spice powder
1/2 tsp pink peppercorn
Pinch of salt and cracked pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 sprigs rosemary, whole and chopped
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/3 cup Smak Dab cranberry dijon mustard
1/3 cup tahini
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper chile flakes
8 cloves roasted garlic
1 can chickpeas
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- In a pot, add brown sugar, 1 Tbsp Grand Marnier, orange juice, five spice, pink peppercorn, salt and pepper. Whisk to blend.
- Add dried cranberry and rosemary sprig, then bring to a boil.
- Simmer and reduce until 1/2 cup of liquid remains and strain cranberries.
- In a bowl, blend vinegar, dijon, tahini, chopped rosemary, 1 tsp Grand Marnier, remaining spices and roasted garlic with 1/2 cup of previously reduced liquid.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, keeping 1/4 cup of aquafaba, then blend with wet mixture.
- Stir in seeds and rehydrated cranberries. Serve with naan.
Yield 4 servings hummus