Pastry Chef Melissa Buiskool-Leeuwma,
Start this creative project by baking your favourite chocolate cake, making enough to produce 3-9″ rounds.
4 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 cups strawberries, quartered
2 Tbsp strawberry preserves or strawberry jam
4 whole strawberries for garnish
20 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on high speed to beat cream and icing sugar together until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat strawberries and preserves together on medium speed for about 1 min.
- Using a spatula, gently fold berries into whipped cream mixture.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate over low heat.
- Cut 2 sheets of parchment paper, making sure the sheets are long enough to easily wrap around the chocolate cake, while leaving a bit of overlap.
- Lay parchment sheets on bottom of 2 cookie sheets and spread chocolate on both sheets. Tap sheets gently on counter to spread evenly.
- Chill in fridge until chocolate hardens.
- Preheat oven to 250˚F.
- Spread 1/3 of the strawberry mousse on bottom layer of chocolate cake round.
- Place second chocolate layer on top. Spread with 1/3 of the mousse.
- Top with final layer.
- Remove 1 chocolate sheet from fridge and flash heat in the oven for 3 to 5 secs.
- Carefully lift warm chocolate from cookie sheet and wrap around assembled cake and mousse layers.
- Place cake in fridge until chocolate hardens and then remove parchment paper.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with remaining chocolate sheet.
- Top cake with remaining mousse and decorate with strawberries.
Yield 10-12 servings
This Osborne Village nook is always bustling, from lunch to late night. Checkered floors, neon signage, and huge chalkboard menus supply retro-cool vibes. Give in to comfort food temptations like…
Baked Expectations Neighbourhood: Osborne Address: 161 Osborne St Phone: 204-452-5176 Entrées: $9-$16 There are few opportunities to eat dessert before the main course, but such fantasies are satisfied at Baked…
Say It With Cake Winnipeggers have been celebrating their biggest moments with Baked Expectations for 30 years By Jen Zoratti It’s no surprise many Winnipeggers have an emotional connection to…
Owner Beth Grubert, Baked Expectations Moist, fluffy and dangerously addictive, these cocoa-rich cakes are topped with buttery frosting. Ingredients Chocolate Cupcakes 20 cupcake liners 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder…
Owner Beth Grubert, Baked Expectations Light-as-air, melt-in-your mouth meringue, frothy cocoa cream and tangy raspberries conspire to make this cover star shine. Ingredients Meringue Base 2 cups egg whites (can use…
Owner Beth Grubert, Baked Expectations With its pretty ombré layers of bitter coffee, smooth Irish cream and zesty orange, this rich cheesecake blends the indulgent flavours of our favourite after-dinner…
Owner Beth Grubert, Baked Expectations Thick chocolate ganache gives way to luscious layers of light strawberry buttercream and dense nutty pecan chocolate cake in this textural torte. Ingredients Cake Layers…
Pastry Chef Melissa Buiskool-Leeuwma, Baked Expectations Light and airy, the strawberry pavlova is perfect for any special occasion. Ingredients Meringue 2 cups cold egg whites (chill in fridge) 1/2 tsp…