Chef Gord Harris,
Prairie Ink Restaurant and Bakery
Adding maple to classic carrot cake cream cheese icing gives this towering dessert an extra dose of sweetness.
5 large eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 2/3 cups white sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
20 oz crushed pineapple
2 2/3 cups shredded carrot
1 1/4 chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
12 oz cream cheese
1 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tsp maple extract
10 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to combine eggs, oil, buttermilk and white sugar.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and ground ginger. Mix well.
- Add pineapple, carrots, walnuts, coconut and crystallized ginger. Mix well.
- Grease 3-8″ cake pans. Distribute mix equally among pans.
- Bake for 34 mins.
- Cool before icing.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese using a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add butter continue beating until smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, add maple extract to whipping cream. Mix well using a spatula or spoon.
- Add whipping cream to cream cheese mix. Mix well adding icing sugar until smooth.
- Spread maple icing between each layer of cake. Stack layers.
- Frost top and side of cake with remaining icing.
- Garnish with caramel sauce.
Yields 12 slices