Chef David Hyde,
The name says it all. Luxurious, dense and sinfully delicious, this celiac-friendly flourless cake will make you forget all the other chocolate cakes out there. Play with garnishes for pretty presentation.
3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
6 extra large eggs
3/4 Tbsp vanilla extract
variety of berries
- In a medium stainless steel bowl, whisk yolks, sugar and vanilla.
- In a small microwave-safe dish, microwave whipping cream on 3/4 power for 2 mins.
- Slowly add cream to other ingredients.
- Over a pot of boiling water, whisk mixture until anglaise is thick.
- Place anglaise in ice bath until cool.
Carlo’s marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Over a pot of boiling water, melt chocolate and butter in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Add vanilla. Using a spatula, stir occasionally.
- In a second stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water, whisk eggs until warm to touch.
- Remove eggs from heat. Using a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat on high for 3 mins until volume triples.
- Fold in half the egg mixture into the chocolate. Blend well. Fold in remaining mixture. Blend well.
- Place in 8″ springform pan lined with parchment on bottom and sides. Double wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil.
- Place springform in a roasting pan with 1″ hot water. Bake for 5 mins.
- Rotate pan and springform for even baking. Cover loosely with a foil lid and bake for 10 mins.
- Cool on wire rack for 45 mins. Chill for 3 hrs.
- Garnish with berries, crème anglaise and sauces.
Yields 10 servings