Chef Alix Loiselle
La Belle Baguette
The chewy texture of cranberries contrasts with the crunch of walnuts and slight hint of nutmeg, pulling together flavours of a traditional French Canadian Christmas. Consider pairing this robust loaf with a wheel of warm brie. Très bien!
4 tsp instant dry yeast
2 cups warm water
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
7 cups all purpose flour
1 cup walnut flour (powder)
3/4 cup walnuts (coarsely chopped)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 orange, zest and juice
1-2 pinches nutmeg powder
- Mix yeast with warm water, let rise.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all other ingredients.
- Add proofed yeast mixture with water to dry ingredients. Mix with dough hook on medium low speed for 5 minutes until dough forms into an elastic ball.
- Transfer ball to floured counter. Cover and let rest 1 hour.
- Divide dough in 2 balls. Flatten each dough ball, roll tightly into a cone shape, and place each loaf on pan with parchment. Lightly flour top of loaves, Cover and let rise until doubled again.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Make straight line incision on top of loaves, bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until crust has a dark golden colour.
Yields 2 loaves