Chef Tristan Foucault,
3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
5 sprigs thyme
9 large yellow onions
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
veal stock or sodium reduced beef broth
6 slices Gruyère
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère
1. Place the bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme in a 7″ square of cheesecloth. Bring in the edges and tie.
- Cut the onions in half and cut the halves into slices just over 1/2 cm wide.
- In a heavy pot over medium low heat, melt the butter and add the onions.
- Cook the onions slowly, to caramelize them, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. This process should take around 3 hours.
- Add the veal stock and the sachet.
- Slowly reduce the soup for about an hour, to 3/4 of original volume.
- Season the soup with salt and sherry vinegar to taste.
- Cut the baguette into 12 slices, brush with olive oil and toast under the broiler.
- Place the soup in onion soup bowls, leaving just over an inch below the top of the bowl.
- Float the croutons on the soup surface, cover with a slice of cheese and a small handful of grated cheese.
- Place the soup under the broiler until it forms a nice golden crust.
Yield 6 servings
An old-world atmosphere within a charming heritage building space, Peasant Cookery offers updated French classics and innovative dishes, like tourtiere and tender Berkshire pork. Operating with a made-from-scratch philosophy, everything…
Peasant Cookery Neighbourhood: Exchange Address: 283 Bannatyne Ave Phone: 204-989-7700 Entrées: $18-$36 A classically educated chef and a rustically rebranded restaurant are the essential ingredients at Peasant Cookery, which melds…
PEASANT COOKERY Neighbourhood: Exchange Address: 288 Bannatyne Ave Phone: 204-989-7700 Entrees: $14-$29 The luxurious yet honest dishes at Peasant Cookery satiate palates of princes and paupers alike. Chef/part owner Tristan Foucault's…
Meat Maverick Chef Tristan Foucault turns trash to culinary treasure at Peasant Cookery By Erin Bend “You are a cook,” decried a manager at The Keg as he grabbed a…
Chef Tristan Foucault, Peasant Cookery Decadent, earthy and straight up soul-warming, this enhanced cassoulet hits all the right seasonal notes. Ingredients 3 Tbsp canola oil 1 lb pork butt cut…
Chef Tristan Foucault, Peasant Cookery Creamy, cool yogurt calms the dominant sweet taste of this earthy, fall salad livened up with a sprinkling of cilantro. Ingredients 12 large carrots…
Chef Tristan Foucault, Peasant Cookery With a little careful trimming, this revered primal delight is entirely achievable at home. Ingredients 3 shallots, sliced thin rounds flour oil for frying 1.5…