Chef Tristan Foucault,
With a little careful trimming, this revered primal delight is entirely achievable at home.
3 shallots, sliced thin rounds
oil for frying
1.5 lb eye of round
2 medium shallots, minced
2 Tbsp capers, chopped
8 cornichon, diced small
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 Tbsp aïoli or mayonnaise
1 baguette sliced and toasted
- Bring a small pot of canola oil to 350°F.
- Toss the shallot rounds in flour and deep fry until crispy.
- Clean the eye of round by slicing off the outside surface to 1 mm deep. Place the cleaned meat on a new cutting board, ensuring that it does not touch any surfaces that the original piece of meat touched. Doing this will help prevent contamination.
- Dice the meat by first cutting it into ¼” slices. Stack a few slices on one another and slice them lengthwise. Once sliced, the strips are easily diced very small.
- Combine meat with minced shallots, capers, cornichon, parsley, olive oil and aïoli.
- Season to taste with salt, Tabasco and Worcestershire.
- Top with shallot rounds and serve with toasted baguette.
Yield 6 servings
An old-world atmosphere within a charming heritage building space, Peasant Cookery offers updated French classics and innovative dishes, like tourtiere and tender Berkshire pork. Operating with a made-from-scratch philosophy, everything…
Peasant Cookery Neighbourhood: Exchange Address: 283 Bannatyne Ave Phone: 204-989-7700 Entrées: $18-$36 A classically educated chef and a rustically rebranded restaurant are the essential ingredients at Peasant Cookery, which melds…
PEASANT COOKERY Neighbourhood: Exchange Address: 288 Bannatyne Ave Phone: 204-989-7700 Entrees: $14-$29 The luxurious yet honest dishes at Peasant Cookery satiate palates of princes and paupers alike. Chef/part owner Tristan Foucault's…
Meat Maverick Chef Tristan Foucault turns trash to culinary treasure at Peasant Cookery By Erin Bend “You are a cook,” decried a manager at The Keg as he grabbed a…
Chef Melissa Makarenko, Peasant Cookery Smoking meat with maple wood chips immediately before serving delivers a fresh-off-the-campfire taste to this deconstructed sandwich presentation. Strident ingredients like arugula, maple mustard, shallots…
Chef Tristan Foucault, Peasant Cookery Decadent, earthy and straight up soul-warming, this enhanced cassoulet hits all the right seasonal notes. Ingredients 3 Tbsp canola oil 1 lb pork butt cut…
Chef Tristan Foucault, Peasant Cookery Creamy, cool yogurt calms the dominant sweet taste of this earthy, fall salad livened up with a sprinkling of cilantro. Ingredients 12 large carrots…
Chef Tristan Foucault, Peasant Cookery Ingredients Sachet 3 bay leaves 1 Tbsp black peppercorns 5 sprigs thyme Soup 9 large yellow onions 6 Tbsp unsalted butter veal stock or sodium…