Chef Mandel Hitzer
deer & almond
This combination of contrasting textures offers a playful, palate pleasing end to a meal.
8 oz ricotta
¼ cup sour cream
¼ heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp glucose (or white corn syrup)
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cranberry jam
Vueve Clicquot Gelee
2 cups champagne
5 sheets of gelatin
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup white corn syrup
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp baking soda
8 brazil nuts, toasted
2 Tbsp of simple syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp of dried herbs (parsley, rosemary, thyme)
- Blend the egg in a blender for one minute.
- Add sugar, and blend for another minute.
- Add remaining cheesecake ingredients and blend another minute.
- Pour into a sealable bag and seal.
- Bring a pot of water to 77˚C. Place cheesecake bag into the pot and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove bag from water, and chill in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 200˚F.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until a stiff, shiny meringue is formed.
- Fold in cranberry jam until fully combined.
- Spread meringue in an even layer onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
Veuve Clicquot Gelee
- Heat ½ cup of the champagne to a simmer.
- Bloom gelatin sheets in cold water, enough to cover. Remove gelatin sheets, and whisk into hot champagne.
- Pour hot mixture into remaining wine and let cool (this preserves the alcohol content).
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Bring to boil; cook, without stirring but brushing down side of pan occasionally with pastry brush dipped in cold water, until candy thermometer reaches hard-crack stage of 300°F (149°C), or when 1 tsp (5 mL) hot syrup dropped into cold water forms hard brittle threads, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Standing back and averting face, whisk in baking soda. (Caramel will bubble and sputter and increase in volume.) Whisk in vanilla.
- Pour into greased foil-lined 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan. Let cool in pan on rack without disturbing, about 2 hours.
- Break into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) pieces. (Make-ahead: Store layered between waxed paper in airtight container for up to 1 month.)
- Cut brazil nuts in half and toast in a toaster oven at 350˚F until browned.
- Pulverize herbs in a small blender until they are a powder.
- Coat nuts in a touch of simple syrup and roll in the herbs to coat.
- Chop gelee into chunks and set on plate. Place desired amount of cheesecake on top.
- Top with other components.
Yield 4 servings