Mille feuille, the traditional delicate French dessert, gets an umami-rich edge from the addition of soy caramel.
5 phyllo sheets
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
4 Tbsp icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup chocolate, milk or dark
Dark soy caramel
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 Tbsp soy sauce
12-18 phyllo crisps
4 Tbsp chocolate mousse
2 Tbsp macerated strawberries
Strawberry gelee cubes
1 Tbsp dark soy caramel
2 Tbsp whipped cream
- Layer one sheet of phyllo on a clean counter and gently brush with melted butter.
- Dust just over 1 Tbsp of icing sugar over the sheet and layer a fresh sheet on top, lightly pressing to adhere to bottom sheet.
- Repeat process until all sheets are layered.
- Using a ring cutter, cut phyllo stack into circles.
- Place pieces on a parchment lined sheet. Cover with another sheet of parchment, then place a heavy sheet pan on top to press while baking.
- Bake at 340°F for 10-15 minutes until deeply golden.
- Remove from oven. Cool with sheet pan on top to ensure they don’t separate.
- Combine egg yolk and sugar, whisking until pale yellow.
- Heat 1/4 cup cream until warm.
- Slowly whisk cream into egg mixture to ensure it doesn’t curdle.
- Place back in pot. Whisk over low heat until slightly thickened, making sure not to boil.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and add chocolate, whisk until smooth and combined, then let cool.
- Whisk 1/4 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Once chocolate has cooled, gently add it to the whipped cream and combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Dark soy caramel
- In a heavy bottomed pot, combine sugar, water and corn syrup.
- Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until dark amber in colour.
- Remove pot from heat and slowly whisk in whipping cream, butter and soy sauce.
- Whisk until very smooth. If there are undissolved crystals, return to low heat and whisk until smooth.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Lay out 3 phyllo crisps. Using a piping bag, squeeze small dollops of chocolate mousse and whipped cream, placing desired amount of strawberry gelee cubes in between.
- Place macerated strawberries on top of decorated crisps.
- Once assembled, stack each crisp on top of each other.
- Lightly drizzle caramel on top.
Yield 1 mille feuille