Chef Sean McGillivray,
Stuffing bacon-wrapped prawns with chorizo amps up this sweet-and-salty signature with a kick of spice. The herbal, savoury dressing can be made creamier by adding a dollop of sour cream. To avoid overcooking the shrimp, Chef Sean recommends roasting the bacon strips in the oven for a few minutes and then cooling before wrapping.
12 pieces jumbo prawns
12 slices thick-cut bacon
1 cup chorizo
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp chopped green onions
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Remove chorizo from casing and crumble into small pieces.
- In a pan, cook chorizo over medium heat until the oils separate from the meat, stirring often.
- Let the chorizo cool then add goat cheese, oregano and green onions.
- Toast pumpkin seeds in the oven at 350° for 8 minutes.
- In a food processor, rough chop pumpkin seeds. Add mustard and cilantro.
- With the food processor on high speed, slowly pour olive oil into the mixture.
- Finish with vinegar, salt and pepper. Texture should be creamy but not too thick.
- Clean and devein prawns.
- Using a paring knife, butterfly flesh, keeping the meat intact.
- Spread 1 Tbsp of stuffing into each prawn and press back together.
- Wrap each prawn with bacon from tail to head, covering all open areas.
- In a pan, sear bacon-wrapped prawns on both sides until bacon fat is rendered.
- Finish in the oven at 350° for 6 minutes.
- Spoon dressing into shallow dish. Add prawns on top.
Yield 4 servings