This recipe reminds us never to settle for a bottled dressing. Bold, garlicky flavour is what makes the Caesar a superstar.
1 lb Romaine lettuce (washed, dried and cut into 1.5 inch by 1.5-inch pcs)
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Tabasco
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 anchovy fillets
2 cloves garlic crushed
juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp grated parmesan
1/2 cup croutons
- In a wooden bowl, using the back of a large spoon, mash together garlic and anchovies into a paste.
- Add egg yolks and mustard. Stir vigorously until fluffy.
- Drizzle in olive oil slowly while mixing vigorously, then canola oil.
- When the oil is fully emulsified add lemon juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire and red wine vinegar; while still mixing vigorously.
- Add lettuce to the dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- Plate and garnish with croutons, parmesan cheese and lemon wedges(optional).
Yield 4 servings