A wonderful dish and culinary trompe l’oeil to tease palates.
1 lb large squid tubes
1 tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon
4 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb fresh asparagus
1 lb fresh pasta
1 1/2 cup organic white flour
3 large free-run eggs
plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
6 Tbsp tobiko (flying fish roe)
- Begin by cutting squid length wise into 1/8 inch wide strips resembling linguine. Place in a ziplock bag along with lemon juice and salt. Remove as much air as possible by submerging in water and then seal the bag. Sous vide by placing in water heated to 130°F for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make pasta by adding eggs to flour and salt and kneading until a smooth and elastic dough is achieved. Rest the dough for 1/2 hour before rolling and cutting into 4 inch linguine noodles.
- Cut asparagus into 1/4 inch pieces and blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes then place in an ice bath. When ready to serve, boil pasta for 3 minutes.
- In a pan with olive oil on medium heat, toss the squid linguine, pasta and asparagus. Salt to taste.
- Put in the center of pasta bowls and garnish with 1 Tbsp tobiko and a small piece of shaved grana padano. Top with grated lemon zest.
Yield 6 servings
Husband and wife duo Beaujena and Randy Reynolds operate this chef’s table style restaurant, cooking up a new 7 course meal every week. On a St. Boniface residential street, this…
Beaujena's French Table Neighbourhood: St Boniface Address: 302 Hamel Ave Phone: 204-233-4841 Entrées: Prix Fixe $55 Beaujena’s French Table is the definition of a passion project. The cozy St Boniface…
Trust the Chef Chef Randy Reynolds’ surprise menus excite the adventurous and push cautious diners out of their culinary comfort zone. By Carly Peters Chef Randy Reynolds sets down a…
This beautiful marriage of sour, bitter and sweet leaves a lasting impression. Ingredients Hazelnut Crust 1 1/4 cups raw hazelnuts 1 cup rice flour 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup sugar 1/4…
Tart cranberry chutney holds up and accents the gaminess of lamb. Ingredients Lamb Skewers 1 cup lemon juice 2 cups pomegranate juice (reduced by half) 2 Tbsp ground cumin 1…
Goat cheese and a bright herb garnish complement the briny smoked salmon in this mild yet exciting tart. Ingredients Pie Crust 2 3/4 cups organic white flour 1 tsp salt…
Chef Blue Harland Beaujena's The ultimate lakeside cocktail: this creative shooter is a surefire way to get guests’ mouths watering. Spinach, shallot and whiskey are blended into a savoury purée,…
Chef Blue Harland, Beaujena's Manitoba lake fish are ideal for this dish. Northern pike has the delicate flavour of fish, but with a meatier texture. A velvety bourguignon sauce adds…