Chef Olivier Fortat,
The French Way
These French pastries are a rich, sinful, chocolate fiend’s delight.
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp sugar
1 1/3 cups flour
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup corn starch
7 oz dark chocolate (éclairs only)
2 egg whites
2/3 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
- Heat oven to 350˚F.
- In a saucepan, bring milk, butter and sugar to a boil.
- When milk is boiling add flour. Remove mixture from heat and stir until firm.
- Add eggs 2 at a time until eggs disappear in dough. Mix until smooth.
- Fill a pastry piping bag with dough and squeeze to form 10-12 3″ x 1″ éclairs on baking sheet parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 mins (éclairs will triple in size).
- Let cool for 20 mins.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil and then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Stir in sugar.
- In another small bowl, combine flour and corn starch.
- Combine the two bowls plus 1/3 of the milk and whisk until firm.
- Add remaining milk and warm over low heat.
- Whisk in chocolate when still hot and mix well (éclairs only).
- Remove from heat and cover with plastic. Refrigerate until cold.
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
- Fill a pastry piping bag with custard.
- Gently poke a hole in one end of the éclair and fill the inside.
- Dip the tops of éclairs in icing one at a time.
Yields 10-12 pieces