Chef Olivier Fortat,
The French Way
With berries, a hint of chocolate and custard surprise, these tarts are a fresh and sweet treat.
1 cup butter
4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate
1 cup cream
4 cups of your favourite berries or fruit, sliced.
2 Tbsp apricot jam
2 Tbsp water
Custard and Pastry
- Make custard (use éclair recipe but don’t add chocolate) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to combine butter, flour, sugar, eggs and salt. Use your hands to form a ball of dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 1-2 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Remove dough from fridge. Roll out dough and cut shells to 2 1/2″ in diameter.
- Bake for 20 to 30 mins.
- Set aside and let cool.
- In a saucepan, gently melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Add cream.
- Stir to combine. Keep on low heat.
- In a saucepan, gently melt apricot jam over low heat.
- Add water to thin.
- Brush inside bottom of each tart with ganache and fill with 1 Tbsp of custard.
- Cover the custard with fruit garnishes.
- Brush with warm glaze and serve.
Yield 12 tarts