Chef Ben Kramer
Diversity Food Services
Waste not, want not: this dish uses the whole radish. Miso butter is a complex flavour addition to the peppery root vegetable.
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp brown rice miso paste
1/4 tsp hemp seeds
1/4 tsp ground chile flakes
3 bunches or so assorted radishes (fresh, with nice tops)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp rice vinegar
- To make the miso butter, combine butter, miso, chile flakes, and hemp seeds in a small bowl and mash with the back of a spoon until well mixed.
- Trim the greens from the radishes. Wash and roughly chop. Wash the radishes and halve, quarter, or leave hole depending on the size.
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron pan over medium high heat. Add radishes and sear until golden brown. Stir or toss until crisp and tender.
- Reduce heat slightly. Add radish tops and splash with white wine. Allow wine to cook out for about 30 seconds. Season with coarse salt.
- Remove from heat and add miso butter. Stir to create a simple pan sauce and glaze the radishes and greens. Add vinegar.
- Taste and season if needed.
Yield 4 servings