Chef Ben Kramer
Diversity Food Services
This simple but stunning dish pairs sweet beets with tart shaved rhubarb and peppery greens.
2 L milk
1/8 cup salt
1/4-1/2 cup lemon juice
6 assorted beets
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp fresh chives, minced
2 Tbsp camelina oil
1 lemon or orange, zested
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 medium stalks of rhubarb
2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp cane sugar
1 1/2 cups arugula
- To make the fresh cheese, heat milk on the stovetop until temperature reaches 190-200˚F. Stir in salt. Slowly add lemon juice, stir gently, and remove from heat.
- Once the curds and whey have fully separated, pour through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Rest curds in cheesecloth overnight or for a few days.
- Wrap beets individually in foil. Roast in a 400˚F oven for about an hour, until tender. Let cool.
- Slide the skin off the roasted beets and cut into bite sized pieces or slices. Toss with the fresh herbs, camelina oil, and citrus zest. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Peel rhubarb into large strips lengthwise to create ribbons. Toss with sea salt and sugar. Let sit for at least half an hour.
- Arrange beets, rhubarb, and arugula on plates. Sprinkle with fresh cheese.
Yield 4 servings